Two class action law suits have been launched against this federal government this week, claiming it routinely persecuted LGBTW employees and eradicated them from its workforce.
“This practice, which we’ve called the LGBT purge, began in the 1950s when LGBT Canadians were viewed as a threat to national security and criminal deviants,” said lawyer Doug Elliott – a veteran gay rights activist who is leading the case.
“Despite the promise of the right honourable Pierre Trudeau in 1968 that the state had no place in the bedrooms of the nation, LGBT Canadians continued to be persecuted by the federal government and pushed out of federal employment, especially in the military,” he continued.
Elliott confirmed that two law suits had been filed on Monday – one in Montreal on behalf of residents in Quebec and one in Toronto on behalf of all other Canadians affected.
The suits are asking for $600 million for claimants outside of Quebec and an undefined but proportionate amount for those inside the province, where the litigation laws are different.
While the current federal government has acknowledged past discrimination and promised a formal apology, no compensation has yet been discussed.
“We have been waiting patiently for the federal government to take action to address these grievances but so far we have just had kind words and no action,” said Elliiott.
The Toronto-based lawyer said he hoped the class-action suit would secure justice for all those affected and estimated as many as 9,000 people would be eligible to join.
Union expands ad campaign criticizing Trudeau
Ford talks pose biggest challenge
Manitoba Premier defends possible pay freeze