A Saskatoon company has been fined $420,000 after breaking workplace safety rules, which resulted in the death of a teenage worker.
Shercom Industries was fined for an incident that occurred in 2015, in which Cade Sprackman, 18, died after his arm was caught in the pully of a tire shredder conveyor belt.
According to the Labour Relations and Workplace Safety Ministry, the business failed to have systems and maintenance at the plant to ensure the safety and welfare of workers.
In a release to the province, a statement read: “The right to know the hazards and how to prevent injuries, the right to participate in health and safety activities, and right to refuse work that you believe is unusually dangerous.”
Speaking on the fine of $420,000, senior crown prosecutor, Buffy Rogers, said it was one of the highest fines they’d seen for a corporation of Shercom’s size.
The judge presiding over the case also added that they hoped the heftiness of the fine would send a message that workplace safety should be paramount – Global News reports.
John Agioritis, Shercom Industries’ defence lawyer, commented: “There is significant safety improvements at the organization following the event. Events like these, can always cause a company to change and this was certainly a catalyst for change.”
Ontario nuclear generator fined $110,000 for workplace injury
Bakery fined $300,000 over worker’s death