Forum

HRD Canada forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Notify me of new replies via email
HRM CA | 04 Jan 2018, 09:06 AM Agree 0
Jeri Horton-Joyce and Ron Joyce Jr. wrote a letter to employees at their two Tim Hortons restaurants in Cobourg
  • Concerned Customer | 04 Jan 2018, 10:09 AM Agree 0
    How you treat your employees reflects on how you will treat your customers. I will take this decision into account when choosing your product over another choice.
  • JRB | 04 Jan 2018, 10:10 AM Agree 0
    This is likely just the beginning. Nice idea to increase the minimum wage however doing it this quickly is just foolish. Obviously the Liberal government lead by Kathleen Wynn knows very little about business.
  • Sandra M | 04 Jan 2018, 10:29 AM Agree 0
    Well I hope they realize for some of those employees who have been there awhile they will have to provide proper notice as that is considered constructive as paid benefits form part of their remuneration package. If the employer follows through with it, I suggest the employees seek to unionize. If employers cannot afford to pay their employees a living wage, they should not be in business.
    • RachelP | 04 Jan 2018, 03:38 PM Agree 0
      Suggesting unionizing is ridiculous, and they CAN pay a living wage, they just won't bother doing more than what the law dictates from now on. Nothing wrong with that. There are plenty of fast-food and retail establishments that only do the bare minimum, so why can't these franchises?
  • Alberta Coffee Drinker | 04 Jan 2018, 10:38 AM Agree 0
    I'm sure the billions of Tim Horton's customers (or perhaps it will be millions now) wouldn't mind paying an extra dime for their coffee in order to protect the benefits provided to minimum wage paid TH employees. I see this as a ruse to inflame public attention and backlash on the decision to raise the minimum wage. The telling is in the statements, "...their overall decision came from “intense discussions with management and numerous small business owners in the area and other franchise owners” (not employees or customers) and "Our focus continues to be on...growing sales and profitability" (not on protecting our employees). Wake up, Ontario! You're being manipulated by a big corporation that is cheaping-out on the dedicated workers who serve you coffee and donuts every day! I have been a dedicated patron of TH for more than 40 years however now I'm not so sure that will continue.
  • Jeannette | 04 Jan 2018, 10:42 AM Agree 0
    Didn't corporate Tim Horton's introduce price increases back in September which they justified as being in preparation of the minimum wage hike? The franchise holders before three months of that extra profit margin before the wage change so it seems a bit ingenuous to immediately claim hardship.

As for employees now paying a share of their benefits, that's pretty standard given the ever-climbing cost of insurance. Very few employers pay 100% of the premium, although 70% by the employee is much higher than the norm. Last Sanovi report indicated 30% employee paid was the average.

I'm thinking that Horton and Joyce are making a political point more than a financially justified decision.

• | 04 Jan 2018, 11:03 AM Agree 0
    You do not need to unionize to address the issue with the change in compensation and it won't cost you union dues.
  • me | 04 Jan 2018, 11:25 AM Agree 0
    Quick and easy way to say hello union.
  • Common Sense | 04 Jan 2018, 11:37 AM Agree 0
    Where does everyone think the money was going to come from? Thin air? I am sure that the franchisees involved are ALSO taking a hit.

It is easy to preach from behind a keyboard but the reality is there are many small businesses that were above min wages for employees and can no longer. Especially if people stop spending money with them. You stop spending, and these people that you pretend to care about will lose their jobs.

Thanks Kathleen!!
Post a reply