Forum

HRD Canada forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Notify me of new replies via email
HRM CA | 09 Jul 2018, 04:00 AM Agree 0
They shouldn't just look at candidates' past work experiences and consider their skillsets, says Deloitte's head
  • Brenda | 09 Jul 2018, 10:28 AM Agree 0
    This is a good point not only recruiters but the hiring manager or the decision makers as well. Having worked with employment firms for over 20 years I have see employers I was hiring for missing out on good employees because a specific skill was not on the candidate's resume. In our industry we have the advantage of talking to the hiring manager of the firm we are hiring for, to "convince" them that they really should interview a candidate despite what is on their resume. In these cases, the candidate often ends up getting hired. I often advise new recruiters to read the story of the person from his/her resume, not just the words. Having said that, this is only half the battle. The second half is getting the hiring manger or the decision makers to do the same and be open to interviewing a bit outside the box. From a candidate's point of view, it's tricky to portray these transferable skills/attributes on their resumes. This is where investigating the employer before going for an interview comes into play. As a candidate you should be able to answer the age old questions..."what can you do for us".
Post a reply