Far-out Friday: 20 lamest sick day excuses ever

As an HR professional, you're never short of entertainment when the golf course calls workers and they call you in that feeble "pneumonia voice" to say they're sick.

Employers in every industry get their fair share of "sick" day excuses from people who really just want some quality time with their golf clubs and, as a recent study conducted by recruitment website CareerBuilder.com found out, those excuses can sometimes be pretty hilarious.

Below, HRMonline has compiled some of the more bizarre anecdotes on the list, as well as a few other numbers from various far-flung corners of the Internet. All are reportedly real-life scenarios (number five was even used by someone at our own company). If you've got another example to add to the list, make sure and write it in the comment box below:

The top 20 lamest sick day excuses ever:

20. Employee's dog was having a nervous breakdown

19. Employee's dead grandmother was being exhumed for a police investigation

18. Employee was bitten by a bird

17. Employee was upset after watching The Hunger Games

16. Employee got sick from reading too much

15. Employee's hair turned orange from dying her hair at home

14. Employee dropped a tin of baked beans on his toe

13. Employee swam too fast and knocked his head on the poolside

12. Employee’s hamster died

11. Employee was hallucinating

10.Employee’s new girlfriend bit him in a "elicate" spot

9. Employee’s toe was trapped in the bathtub tap

8. Employee drank too much and fell asleep on a stranger’s floor: "I don’t know where I am."

7. Employee had a sore finger

6. Employee’s trousers split on the way to work

5. Employee electrocuted herself with a hair straightener

4. Employee’s dog ate his shoes

3. Employee's fish wasn't feeling well

2. Employee forgot he had been hired for the job

1. Employee's mum had died (this was the second time the employee had used this excuse)

• Joni on 2013-10-18 9:03:31 AM

Employee's parents are getting a divorce

Got lost on the way to work

• Carol on 2013-10-25 12:04:29 PM

Employee had stood in line to finally get his Xbox and he was going to stay at home for the day to try it out.

• Jeannie on 2013-11-01 8:19:41 AM

Cat peed on his passport and he had to apply for a new one.

• Carol on 2013-11-07 6:32:20 AM

These are funny. Personally, I experienced 3 of these situations and was late for work (not a sick call). A bluejay attacked my head on the way to my car and actually put a hole in my scalp; our new to us dog got into the closet overnight during the winter months and chewed every pair of boots we owned; a new pair of pants I purchased completely split in the back while driving to work - obviously defective merchandise.

• Sue on 2013-11-22 9:00:25 AM

My hair was covered in conditioner when I ran out of hot water!

Hummm, ever hear of rinsing in cold water or boiling some water in a pot or kettle?

• Sue on 2013-11-22 9:01:36 AM

My hair was covered with conditioner when I ran out of hot water!!
    Ummm, ever hear of rinsing in cold water or heating some water in a pot or kettle

• Christine on 2013-11-29 9:50:28 AM

I slept in because my mother who usually calls me every morning to make sure I wake up to wake my kids up to get to school didn't call as the kids were out of town. (37 y.old)

I was held up at the border because I set off the radiation scanner because I had a CT scan a month before

My legs are swollen because I sat on the slot machines too long and then got on an airplane to come home and now can't walk

These are just the a few, some are even better, including multiple deaths of the same grandparent