The event took place on February 20, 2014 at the firm’s Burlington Street East plant, according to a Ministry of Labour media release. At the company’s ‘Blast Furnace #3’, employees were cleaning ‘Dustcatcher 3’ when gas was released during an attempt to free a blockage, causing the worker in question to be temporarily overcome and lose consciousness. The employee suffered what was categorised as a “critical injury”.
According to Section 3(1) of Ontario Regulation 833, Control to Exposure of Biological Agents, "every employer shall take all measures reasonably necessary in the circumstances to protect workers from exposure to a hazardous biological or chemical agent because of the storage, handling, processing or use of such agent in the workplace."
It was found that ArcelorMittal Dofasco failed to take all reasonable necessary measures to protect its employee from exposure to the harmful gas, with the fine of $60,000 handed down.
In addition, the company will pay a 25 percent victim fine surcharge towards a government fund to help victims of crime, as stipulated by the Provincial Offenders Act.
Leading steel company ArcelorMittal Dofasco Inc. has been fined $60,000 following an incident in which one of its workers became overcome by gas fumes and lost consciousness.