HR manager hospitalized after attack

A former Ceridian employee has been charged with attempted murder after allegedly stabbing four people just minutes after being fired this week.

Chuang Li, 47, was informed of his termination by two managers, and then asked to leave, Detective Dan Darnbrough told The Star.

Police allege Li stabbed both managers — a woman and man — “several times.”  It is not yet known whether either was Li’s supervisor. A third manager who heard the commotion was attacked as he came to investigate. The three victims were Ceridian’s Dayforce HR manager Rajsri De, vice president of research and development Jimmy Konandreas and implementation director Scott Berenthal.

The fourth victim is believed to have tried to stop Li as he left the office. Employees at Ceridian’s North York office subdued Li until police arrived, by which time Li had “calmed down,” according to Darnbrough. De remains in hospital in stable condition, while the other three victims have been released.

Li has been charged with three counts of attempted murder, four counts of aggravated assault, and four counts of assault with a weapon. He will reappear on Friday for a bail hearing.

“Our thoughts and prayers are with the victims and their families,” said a statement from Ceridian CEO David Ossip and president Dave MacKay. “As you might imagine, this is a very difficult time. The entire Ceridian family is shocked and deeply saddened by this incident.”

Have you ever been threatened by an employee? What precautions do you take to protect yourself and your colleagues?

• M_Web on 2014-04-14 11:10:19 AM

One weekend my wife and I were shopping at Costco. Out of the blue our grocery chart was t-boned by another cart. the 'driver' of the cart was an applicant to a position at my organization who I had called the day before to inform him that he was not the successful applicant. After crashing into our cart, he proceeded to yell/scream at me AND my wife about how his life was ruined, he would lose his kids, etc. Costco staff were great and quickly escorted him elsewhere. How’s this for irony - the reason he didn't get the job - his references all said he had an anger management problem.
    After that my wife encouraged me to leave the Recruitment side of things.

• Liane on 2014-04-14 11:28:10 AM

We always have two security officers in the next office out of sight incase there are issues when we are conducting a termination. We don't have them in sight as we feel their mere presense may insight aggression, but they can be called in quickly should the need arise.

• Manuel on 2014-04-14 11:47:35 AM

M-Web should let us know who the unsuccessful candidate was so that he can remain an unsuccessful candidate.

PS He was going to lose his family but he had money for the Costco membership fees, 24-pack hamburger buns, etc. Well, fine.

• Hr prof on 2014-04-14 12:04:52 PM

Manuel - sure lets encourage folks to share confidential info online ( like their name) so he can be eternally punished for past conduct.... Hr professionals should hold themselves to a higher standard. Such pettiness just encourages other managers to shirk responsibilities of having tough but transparent conversations when performance or conduct falls short. We don't know what created this situation and it's easy to blame perps for this but it's never they simple.

• Manuel on 2014-04-14 2:24:27 PM

Hr prof has hi-lited that my tongue in cheek comment was not well received. I apologize for my inappropriateness.

However, on this topic, like M-Web, I conduct reference checks, etc. to protect my organization and our employees. There are other candidates deserving of employment opportunities who have had their share of hardships who do not have a history of violent tendencies.

Is this pettiness or recruitment?

• C Smith on 2014-04-14 2:59:37 PM

Anyone who has worked within HR has most likely been faced with a disgruntled employee. Removing intoxicated employees, terminating employees should never be done alone. Some schools and organizations have heavy security and weapon detectors.....what has become of our world, children are killed for learning, and employees killed for working. There is obviously more to this story, as the majority of fired employees don't have this reaction. Thoughts with those who are affected by this event.

• Vee on 2014-04-15 1:16:35 PM

We are working with this company on implementing a program... crazy to hear this news. I am a fresh face in HR and this sort of thing freaks me out... tomorrow morning I'm asking for a bullet proof vest and to have permission to carry a pocket knife... (just in case)