CHRP designation gains credibility

It can be hard to sell execs on the value of HR to executives who are stuck in the past, and think HR is the domain of managing ‘personnel’. However, the national Certified Human Resources Professional designation can help HR pros stand out and gain credibility according to a recent survey.

More than 1,000 respondents said the designation is more credible, valued and recognized than it was five years ago.

“Creating credible, valued and recognized designations has been, and continues to be, a core aspect of the strategies of professional HR associations across Canada,” Claude Balthazard, HRPA’s VP Regulatory Affairs said.

However, while many HR professionals consider the CHRP to be highly desirable, the survey shows more needs to be done to educate employers and the public about the credibility and value of the designation.

According to the survey, conducted by Canadian HR Reporter in partnership with the Human Resources Professionals Association, about seven in 10 (69%) of HR professionals would say the CHRP designation is either “quite” or “highly desirable,” compared to 57.6% of those who hire or engage HR professionals and 20.2% of the public.

Most respondents indicated there was a gap between where the profession is at and where it needs to be in regards to the credibility, value and recognition of the CHRP; and almost 60% thought improving the credibility of the designation should be either top priority (18.4%) or one of the most important priorities (41.%).

Do you have your CHRP designation? Why or why not?

• Val on 2013-03-21 12:09:50 PM

I do not have a University degree and the CHRP designation requires one now. I took the Personnel Administration Certificate Program from the University of Alberta many years ago and that was recognized then in addition to several years of directly related experience. So, unless I want to attend a university for the next 4 years I will never be able to attain that designation.

• Kent DeWolfe on 2013-03-21 12:09:57 PM

Having my CHRP for the past 3 years has not helped me in my career at all. The cost to maintain the designation is also prohibitive so for me with no credible results that it assists you in getting throught the door at the very least, then I probably won't maintain my credentials when it expires.

• Jo on 2013-03-21 2:20:56 PM

I worked very hard to obtain my CHRP, which was also a costly endeavor. The annual fees are very high and I am finding that most employers do not even know what it is. There needs to be much more marketing to educate employers on the value of this designation.

• Benny on 2013-03-21 4:33:23 PM

Further to the Val's comment above and despite Kent's experience, I was very concerned when I reluctantly decided to grand-father into the CHRP designation that it would be used as a tool to exclude deserving professionals AND sadly I have watched the bar move higher such that it has now come true.

• Anonymous on 2013-03-21 6:14:28 PM

I agree with Kent and Jo's comments. I have recently attained CHRP status and haven't seen any credible results of my being more competitive than other HR applicants without CHRP. My organization states in our HR job descriptions that CHRP is a requirement, but always under-hire those without CHRP. Leads me to wonder whether the CHRP is truly valued by companies hiring HR professionals. Also, the high cost of maintaining CHRP status (annual fees & recertification fees) is a huge deterrant for me to keep this up.

• Anita on 2013-03-21 6:35:26 PM

I agree with Kent's comments. Some of the employers will not pay for the annual dues because the designation is not a profession that requires to sign-off any legal documents. The annual dues cost more than the Professional Engineers designation.

• Chris Larsen on 2013-03-22 10:16:23 AM

I appreciate these comments, and it does seem this way sometimes, but the reality is somewhat different. HRPA's job board gets on average 40 new job postings weekly. Five years ago, only 30% of those postings required that the candidate have or be working toward a CHRP designation. Today it's 72% of postings.

In 2012 HRPA asked PayScale to review its Canadian database of HR practitioners. The report which can be downloaded at provides solid evidence that the CHRP designation does substantially increase earning potential and career opportunities.

I quick note on dues. HRPA is a dual object professional association, meaning dues are paid to an association that is both a professional regulatory body and a member association. When you compare it with other professional bodies that divide these roles--as the engineers do with PEO and OSPE--to be fair you have to add the dues paid to both the regulator and the member association.

• Kevin on 2013-03-22 11:00:57 AM

I'd like to see HRPA invest in it's professionals. Focus your revenue on large marketing campaigns on TV and print where CxOs, Presidents, etc. to enlighten on the value HR professionals bring. If you notice, there are TV commercials for accounting professions like CMA and CGA. They even have a tradeshow booth at the HRPA conference on our turf!

Good call with the university requirement to become a CHRP. If HRPA had not done that, you will have CxO's think that any Mary or Joe can label themselves a HR professional. The higher the bar you set, the more sought after CHRP's become.

i.e. have you ever tried to recruit a newly minted Chartered Accountant (CA)? On an average job posting, you may only get 4 or 5 candidates applying with only 1 person that you may consider hiring. The CA you hire usually commands at least $90k + 4 weeks vacation. As a comparison, there are hundreds of CGAs applying for accounting jobs at the $40-50k level.

To HRPA board members & executives, please feel free to reach out to me if you want to discuss further.

Kevin, CHRP #90337

• Ashley on 2013-03-22 11:19:41 AM

I am in the process of gaining my CHRP but it's purely for myself. My manager who is a Vice President of HR does not have her CHRP and has no intention of acquiring it. I also find the cost rather prohibitive however.

In terms of the job postings on the HRPA website going up to 72% mentioning CHRP - I don't know about HRPA but I know that with the BC HRMA if you mention CHRP in the job posting you get $100 off the price of a posting. If HRMA has seen a similar growth in positions requiring CHRP, then I would attribute it a lot to that.

• Jim on 2013-03-25 12:06:32 PM

Business leaders often fail to recognize the CHRP desination as valuable to an organization because, my opinion, there is no correlation between the CHRP and HR competence. We (the HR community) say there is a correlation, but there isn't.

I have worked with a number of HR colleagues with the CHRP designation who simply don't make a difference to their organization's results...I have worked with a couple who were terminated for poor performance in fact.

Bottom line - CHRP does not equate to talented HR professionals. Organizations should think about hiring HR professionals based on their ability, skills and experience, and stop unnecessarily weeding out strong candidates who otherwise only lack the designation.

• Nat on 2013-03-27 4:56:32 PM

I've been keeping my CHRP designation for 5+ years. It has NO impact on my HR career at all, except for some educational programs credited with recertification points which I would have taken any way not only in order to maintain my CHRP. Absolutely agree with the statement that "CHRP does not equate to talented HR professionals" Not to mention, it's quite a costly thing.