Forum

HRD Canada forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Notify me of new replies via email
HRM CA | 03 Mar 2015, 08:00 AM Agree 0
1 in 20 female jobseekers admit turning to cosmetic surgery in attempt to level the playing field that they say is ageist.
  • Gale | 03 Mar 2015, 01:48 PM Agree 0
    I just had my eyebrows tinted darker... they were quite white as I'm blonde. I look younger now (I'm 58). This is a directly related action for my interview this Thursday.
    Wish me luck!
  • Sharon | 04 Mar 2015, 02:07 PM Agree 0
    Sadly, I do agree that "mature" women job seekers often do feel they have to try to appear younger in order to secure employment. There are many obvious advantages to hiring a mature female employee - the facts that many have had a lifetime of experience multi-tasking and priority juggling, as well as typically having fewer demands on the homefront at this stage (which equals greater flexibility for work demands, including travel) - still don't always combat the ageism that I believe exists. The reality is that despite the focus on diversity in many organizations today, some recruiters continue to equate fresh ideas, enthusiasm and vitality with younger workers, and that's unfortunate. Those of us in the latter part of our careers have an incredible wealth of resources to offer the right employers - those who appreciate substance and a proven track record. It is shameful that so many women feel the need to resort to cosmetic surgery just to get the opportunity to prove themselves.
Post a reply