Forum

HRD Canada forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Notify me of new replies via email
HRM CA | 17 Apr 2013, 12:00 AM Agree 0
The former head of Merril Lynch takes on HR pros and their biggest common errors – from stack rankings to disrespect
  • Christine Packham | 18 Apr 2013, 09:05 AM Agree 0
    Most, if not all of the mistakes Ms. Krawcheck describes are not HR mistakes but rather managerial mistakes.

For example, HR is not responsible for writing other managers' employee performance reviews. HR may provide advice and feedback on reviews - if allowed - but HR has no authority to stop managers from producing poorly-written reviews if they are determined to do so.

Another example is where she blames HR for making bad or at least boring hiring decisions - HR doesn't make hiring decisions, hiring managers do that.

Finally, in my 30 years' HR experience, it has always been line managers - not HR - who sabotage the termination process and speak ill of the departed. I can try to prevent this until I'm blue in the face but ultimately I cannot physically force people to do the right thing.

Perhaps Ms. Krawcheck is pointing fingers at HR for these things because she doesn't want people to think she may be guilty of some/all of these mistakes herself?
Post a reply