Forum

HRD Canada forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Notify me of new replies via email
HRM CA | 05 Jun 2013, 12:00 AM Agree 0
Six in ten employees have found aspects of a new job differed from the expectations that they acquired during the interview process, leading to morale and engagement issues.
  • M_Web | 05 Jun 2013, 08:49 AM Agree 0
    I can relate. I left a job that was Ok, for a job which I THOUGHT was going to be a career advancement. What I didn't know was that the Director of the department (the one who interviewed me) had resigned and was on his last week before leaving at the time of my interview. On my first day on the job not only do I find out that the person who i thought was going to be my boss was gone, but the people that were in the office didn't know what job I was interviewed for. The work that needed to be done was actually a step down from what I had been doing at my previous job. End result was a loss of thousands (tens of) of dollars due to housing prices and relocation costs, and it took me 2 years to get back to where I was professionally. Since then whenever I interview for a new job (thankfully not that many) I actually ask the interviewers for the names and phone numbers of the people that I would be working with and do a reference check on the organization. I find out from them what they would be expecting of me, plus i get a small snapshot of what my potential environment and co-workers would be like.
Post a reply