Forum

HRD Canada forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Notify me of new replies via email
HRM CA | 10 Oct 2013, 12:00 AM Agree 0
A renowned international company has come under fire after asking a number of traumatic ‘reproductive’ questions on its applications.
  • Chris | 10 Oct 2013, 11:07 AM Agree 0
    There is a right time and place to collect health information (i.e. post-hire to determine eligibility for an employer-sponsored benefits package) however even under those circumstances this line of questioning seems to go too far! I'm confident that, in Canada, this would NEVER appear on an application for employment!
  • Kelly | 10 Oct 2013, 11:24 AM Agree 0
    Maybe it's because I am a parent that has grieved a stillborn baby or because I then became a facilitator for a peer organization that helps parents cope with this loss, but I'm embarrassed to be an HR professional when I see this type of information.

Maybe it's me, maybe I am not knowledgeable enough to know how this would be a work place requirement or need.
  • Patti | 11 Oct 2013, 09:00 AM Agree 0
    The type of questions appearing on the application are discrimminatory and appaling. At no time during employment in any position do the above questions become a factor. Agreed that certain medical questions can be requested, however they must have be bona fide to the position and only after an offer of employment. Chevron's HR department, or the person responsible for this line of questioning, should be ashamed.
  • Jeanne | 15 Oct 2013, 12:06 PM Agree 0
    I find this line of questionning (optional or otherwise) to be completely irrelevant and intrusive on the applicant's privacy. I certainly would never provide that type of information to a prospective employer when the information is irrelevant to the job I would be performing.

Overall, it has even put a bad taste in my mouth about even using the company for their product.

poor poor poor taste.
Post a reply