Forum

HRD Canada forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

The true cost of sick leave: $3.4 million?

Notify me of new replies via email
HRM CA | 15 May 2012, 11:00 AM Agree 0
Most HR pros know their absence rate; but how many realize just how much sick leave is costing their company?
  • Steve Weeks | 16 May 2012, 07:35 AM Agree 0
    We give everyone a minimum of 3 weeks vacation for starters. We provide full Medical and Dental benefits. We offer specific days off for bereavement and allow employees to book time off for medical, dental or other important personal appointments (redoing their mortgage etc.). Then for sick days each employee earns 1 day off per month worked to a maximum of 7 days. If they get sick they use up these days. If they go longer than 7 days it either becomes a day off without pay or they eat into their vacation time. We think it is fair and since we implemented this a couple years ago the instances of people calling in sick randomly has gone down. One other thing we do. If someone has been working really hard and just needs a day off (mental health day) we just let them have it, no penalty. We think it helps us have happy productive employees.
  • Anna Thompson | 18 May 2012, 01:12 AM Agree 0
    I love the "mental health day" idea, Steve. A friend works in mental health support and they offer up to five days leave for this. I think in a supportive workplace it should be an option because it encourages honesty instead of encouraging people to lie when they need some time to re-energize.
Post a reply