Forum

HRD Canada forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Notify me of new replies via email
HRM CA | 28 Apr 2014, 02:41 AM Agree 0
Keen to hire a new employee who really thinks outside the box? Try asking them this question.
  • Don | 08 Apr 2014, 09:51 AM Agree 0
    This is an example of failure to follow instructions. The question was, “Which one would you choose to offer a ride to?” That limits the course of action to only ONE option. Anything is possible when you ignore reality and change the rules. Entertaining response but the interviewer let himself get conned.
  • Larry | 08 Apr 2014, 12:44 PM Agree 0
    If we are going to argue semantic technicalities, I have to disagree with Don. The candidate did in fact indicate he would offer a ride to only one of the three. The question does not exclude his recruitment of his friend to replace him as driver.

Even if one were to accept that he didn't technically follow instructions to the letter, he found a way he might solve the most urgent problem and at least mitigate the other two. That's the kind of intelligence and initiative I would like to see in anyone working in a customer service position.
  • BBCOO | 11 Apr 2014, 06:43 PM Agree 0
    This is too simple... can't believe only one in 200 would answer this way. This solution comes to mind immediately upon reading the scenario (without having first viewed the rest of the article). In my mind it is the only logical solution. No dilemma at all.
  • Neil | 01 May 2014, 01:35 PM Agree 0
    The answer given is a brilliant one, so long as the person being interviewed is single. While I know marital status is a protected ground and not something to be discussed in an interview, it is fun to see how the analysis of the answer would change if the candidate were married. Now, the candidate is imposing on his/her friend and clearing out any witnesses to a marital infidelity. Is that the kind of employee you want to hire? An interesting thought to ponder for fun at least.
Post a reply