Forum

HRD Canada forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Notify me of new replies via email
HRM CA | 31 May 2013, 12:00 AM Agree 0
It’s a pressing concern that recently garnered some traction on blogs: whether to hug in a professional situation?

• Anne-Marie Harris | 31 May 2013, 10:24 AM Agree 0
    This doesn't answer how to avoid an initiated hug. I don't like hugging anyone except my close family, but I sometimes get trapped by other people trying to hug me. My method is to step back a half step and hold out one hand for a handshake so it's clear I won't be hugging.
  • Ana | 23 Apr 2015, 04:24 PM Agree 0
    Often times, I get the feeling that my employer thinks he is doing something nice for me that would merit a hug. I DO NOT LIKE to get hugged by my employer. For example, yesterday, it was National Administrative Day, he brought flowers and some hand lotion for me. He made somewhat of a fanfare of it and stood in front of me after I have already said thank you 3 times, would not leave my work area and I knew it was a cue for a hug. I stood there about 2 feet away and verbally thanked him again for the fourth time. It is very uncomfortable when an employer does that and even more uncomfortable to push away your employee's coat aside so that you can pull her on her waistline for a hug.
Post a reply