Forum

HRD Canada forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Notify me of new replies via email
HRM CA | 01 May 2014, 09:44 AM Agree 0
These days HR needs to understand and work closely with finance to ensure they’ll have the knowledge and ability to advance in the organization, but do you know what these financial phrases mean?
  • kb | 01 May 2014, 12:51 PM Agree 0
    Providing definitions of common finance terms like this is a good idea, and the definitions are generally quite useful - you might add others such as "extraordinary items", "prepaids", "operating expenses" and "net income". I get that the comments at the end of each one are trying to inject humour but I think they are trying to hard and end up sounding smart ass in a way that detracts from the message.
  • LS | 01 May 2014, 01:08 PM Agree 0
    This article is completely inappropriate - I thought it must have been posted in error but I see it is still here.
  • Chris | 01 May 2014, 01:20 PM Agree 0
    Spoken like a true financial.... person, kb! Lighten up! I thought the end translations were very helpful. (Spoken like a true financial moron!)
  • Anne Marie Harris | 01 May 2014, 02:48 PM Agree 0
    I agree with Chris - people need to lighten up! This was funny and relevant. I knew most of the phrases, but it does show the disconnect between finace and HR!
  • Senor Yak | 01 May 2014, 02:57 PM Agree 0
    I find that many people particularly in HR do not know what EBITDA is. Often a good measure of cash generated and good for incentive compensation targets.
  • Chris | 01 May 2014, 03:12 PM Agree 0
    I love Google! Google taught me (HR person) that "...[Earnings Before Interest, Taxes, Depreciation, Amortization] is often used as an accounting gimmick to dress up a company's earnings. When using this metric, it's key that investors also focus on other performance measures to make sure the company is not trying to hide something with EBITDA." Really?
  • Katelyn | 05 May 2014, 09:41 AM Agree 0
    I thought this was light-hearted and funny...and educational at the same time. Work can be humourous...try and have some fun with the dry stuff, folks!! I feel bad for those who can't see past all the seriousness of life.
  • FR | 05 May 2014, 12:30 PM Agree 0
    Ah, I thought that it was an interesting tactic that Tincup used here. By injecting explicit humour into the article it allows for better retention and more buzz. Very Seth MacFarlane like.

I graduated with a BBA and fortunately, my program included accounting courses that made me familiar with all the terms mentioned in this article. Enjoyable read though.
Post a reply