Forum

HRD Canada forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Notify me of new replies via email
HRM CA | 13 May 2014, 06:42 AM Agree 0
Staff and management often clash over dress codes, but how do you manage someone's skin?
  • M_Web | 13 Aug 2013, 08:08 AM Agree 0
    When I worked for a municipality where there was a large (and vocal) senior community) we had a vacancy for the Public Greeter position (the person you first see when you enter City Hall to direct you to the right place). One of the applicants had a tattoo across her chest from sternum to throat, arm to arm the words "I HATE YOU." She wore a sundress to the interview which is how we knew that she had the tattoo. She was qualified, friendly etc., but there were 2 other applicants equally able so it came down to who won’t get the job. She didn't because of that tattoo.
  • L_Web | 14 Aug 2013, 05:17 AM Agree 0
    I totally agree about the content of the tattoo, if it's offensive, racist, discriminatory, it should be covered. We have a female staff member who has a lovely calla lily up the back of her neck to her hairline and it's beautiful. She also has a couple tiny ones at the ankle and the top of her foot. These are not offensive.....I wouldn't get a tattoo, but its a generational thing; both of my sons have the initials of their sons on their arm.
  • Ann | 14 May 2014, 11:51 AM Agree 0
    I work in a professional white collar workplace and visible tattoos are simply not considered appropriate -- even the ones that are generally acknowledged to be attractive.
    Yes, it is partially a class thing. But the human rights code does not protect against class discrimination (unless it is a form of race, gender, etc. discrimination).
Post a reply