Forum

HRD Canada forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Notify me of new replies via email
HRM CA | 12 Feb 2015, 08:00 AM Agree 0
Employees facing drug or alcohol problems not only put their own lives at risk, but also the safety of others in the workplace. Here’s how to help them before it’s too late.
  • Katelyn | 12 Feb 2015, 12:03 PM Agree 0
    I find this article to be a little concerning when it comes to the comments regarding 'terminating' an employee due to a drug and alcohol related disability (specifically the comment following the suggestion of 'counseling'). If the employee acknowledges that they have a problem with drug or alcohol abuse, does an employer not have an obligation to provide support to this employee and continue the employment relationship, so long as the employee agrees to commit to some sort of treatment and follow up plan? I work and reside in Canada - I'm not sure if the rules regarding accommodation are the same in the United States.
  • Kellie | 15 Feb 2015, 02:41 PM Agree 0
    As someone who has had to deal with these sort of situations and support employees, what I can say is that not only does the employee have to accept that he or she has a problem, but they have to also take part in seeking assistance to get well. An employer must accommodate drug and alcohol problems only if the employee accepts his or her illness. Part of the problem is that denial is one of the symptoms, so counselling can help with that. It's important to be direct and give examples of where you're concerned (as an employer). It's also important to let the employee know that his or her job could be at risk if the problem isn't dealt with. Of course, you offer whatever supports you can - but at some point - the employee either recovers (and we continue to help them for a period of time) or the employee stays drinking and using. There is no exact number of times, it's very situation and employer dependent - but accommodation is to the point of undue hardship and that also means how employee morale is impacted (it's not just about dollars and cents)
  • Michel Jorden | 18 Feb 2015, 04:29 AM Agree 0
    It is important that as a manager and investors always provide help to all employees, whether they are suffering in crisis, and they have any other problems. Any human resource consultant always suggest this because engage with the employees must be important for business success.
Post a reply