Forum

HRD Canada forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Notify me of new replies via email
HRM CA | 08 Feb 2013, 01:00 AM Agree 0
“I have brave fight to wild bear”: shops, restaurants and bars often receive walk-in applications, but this emotional application might take the cake.
  • Alicia | 08 Feb 2013, 03:27 PM Agree 0
    We are so put off by someone who offers to work for free! Yet volunteering is embraced, encouraged to take up by those seeking work experience and socially acceptable...

Will someone tell me the difference?
  • Jane | 09 Feb 2013, 04:28 AM Agree 0
    He probably used google translate.
  • Saba | 09 Feb 2013, 06:06 PM Agree 0
    Work without pay makes the employer look bad. Volunteering is considered a better way of saying it. We just have to be politically correct.
  • Ruben Benmergui BA, MIR, LLM, CHRP | 11 Feb 2013, 12:01 PM Agree 0
    Woa....
    There is a huge difference between volunteering and "working for free". It's a complex issue. If you "work" for free there are considerations of Worker's Safety and Insurance issues, Employment Standards Act issues, Pay Equity issues...Employee vs Volunteer issues.etc..etc..In union environments, the issue of work of the bargaining unit..

There is no doubt these stand in the way of providing opportunities for those seeking work. Such relationships must be carefully structured (i.e. locums, internships, co-op placements).

Not so simple....

Post a reply