Forum

HRD Canada forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Notify me of new replies via email
HRM CA | 24 Sep 2015, 08:00 AM Agree 0
Survey shows Canadian employers are struggling to fill in-demand positions – and reveals what they’re trying to do about it.
  • Helena Dyck CHRL | 24 Sep 2015, 10:15 AM Agree 0
    What exactly are the skills that are in demand. There are so many unemployed and desperatly seeking work. What are the careers? What are the skills? It does not have to ambiguous to fill the "apparent skill" shortage. Maybe its the way positions are posted. Maybe it's an avoidance of looking into the resume and seeing the skills and not relying on a computer scan.
  • Ravin | 24 Sep 2015, 08:22 PM Agree 0
    If there's shortage of skilled workers why the companies not providing training to workers. Is it due to cost factors or the employees just not interested. As Ms Helena Dyck mentioned what are the skills that are in demand?
  • Tallia Frost | 28 Sep 2015, 06:23 PM Agree 0
    I'm sorry, what about paying people what they are worth? Are they really in demand if the wages don't reflect it?
  • Steve Z | 29 Sep 2015, 11:56 AM Agree 0
    As a highly experienced professional looking for work I find this issue a little overdone. There are many highly skilled and very experienced people available in this country. The job descriptions and the subsequent programming of the ATS filter out qualified candidates. There are studies done that showed when HR took the resumes of their own skilled employees and ran it through ATS very few and in some cases none of their employees made it through. As far as employers complaining that they have to train lower skilled candidates is a cop out. It has been shown that employees who are trained by their employers are more productive and loyal to the organization.

Perhaps it is time to fix a very broken system.
  • SBM | 05 Oct 2015, 02:23 AM Agree 0
    I have heard just about enough of the nonsense that there aren't enough skilled workers. What they mean to say is, "there aren't enough skilled workers in Canada who will work for the same wage as the Chinese in China". So, instead of sending the job to China, they bring China over to Canada. The government builds the "newcomer" some "affordable housing" and hires teachers to teach their kids english. Meanwhile, the middle class, already here Canadian, is being destroyed and the local kids are getting the shaft in the classroom because the teachers have to teach the new kids the language of our nation. If the companies can't find workers, close the doors or train a local Canadian and pay them a wage that keeps them above the line of poverty. The government has to stop messing around with the whole supply and demand circle by injecting too much supply to meet the artificial demand.
Post a reply