Forum

HRD Canada forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Notify me of new replies via email
HRM CA | 09 Jun 2016, 08:00 AM Agree 0
One HR educator explains the pros and cons of offering advice to unsuccessful candidates.
  • Jeannie McQuaid | 09 Jun 2016, 10:46 AM Agree 0
    I generally avoid being asked to provide feedback by providing it when I tell the applicant they didn't get the job. I tell them where they ranked in the list of applicants, I tell them what I particularly liked about them or saw as strengths and I tell them what I think they might want to work on. I try to be constructively honest and sensitive to their feelings. I've been told by applicants afterward that getting my advice took the sting out of not getting the job.
  • HG | 09 Jun 2016, 10:53 AM Agree 0
    We seldom, if ever, give feedback to external applicants, too fraught with complications and actually I think a lot of times it is unproductive to invest time in someone who you will not be hiring. Conversely, we always give feedback for internal candidates as a grow opportunity and career development planning process for them.
  • Austin Uzama | 09 Jun 2016, 01:09 PM Agree 0
    I think its morally right for HR to provide feedbacks to all failed applicants irrespective of asking for it or not. I also think it should be made legal for feedbacks to be provided. The reason I support this stance its because of the unethical methods of recruitments by some companies-which is, choosing their friends, or family members against qualified applicants. secondly, because of scams and companies that doesn't exist but advertise for staffs.
  • Jeannie McQuaid | 10 Jun 2016, 11:52 AM Agree 0
    to HG: It usually only takes me about 3 minutes to prepare and send a feedback email to a candidate. I think that's a fair exchange since the candidate has invested a lot more than 3 minutes to apply and interview.

It's not a wasted investment. I may not have hired this candidate this time, but my feedback may help them to be hireable next time or for an alternate position I may have in the future. I've had that happen.
  • Ryan Salmond | 14 Jun 2016, 02:10 PM Agree 0
    Found your comments very informative, Jeannie.
  • Marion Grobb Finkelstein | 29 Dec 2016, 09:51 AM Agree 0
    Feedback is important -- both asking for it and giving it. It's a growth opp for both parties.
  • Kellie | 29 Dec 2016, 06:19 PM Agree 0
    I agree with Jeannie. How can you say it's a waste of time? A job is someone having food on the table! Most people put a lot of time into a job search. If you want to be seen as an employer of choice, and continue to have good, strong qualified candidates applying for your positions; then you should make the time. I hate to say it, but that is the exact attitude that makes people dislike HR.
  • Kellie | 29 Dec 2016, 06:21 PM Agree 0
    By the way - the comment made in the article - “Candidates can and do take legal action for bad references. It happens.”

Where has this happened? I have never heard of any Canadian cases.
  • Venkat Ram | 04 Jan 2017, 01:32 PM Agree 0
    Wow. I wish there were lot more HR Managers like Jeannie in Canada.

Firstly, about references. The reason why HR is so paranoid about letting the applicant know about their negative reference is because HR has either no means or no willingness to verify a negative reference. If somebody was so bad, why the manager/dept. kept that person for number of years before firing them? Canadian Managers having a beef with an immigrant employee or wanting to keep him/her as a slave with loaded work and intern-level salary, will never give a positive reference for that highly educated and experienced immigrant.

Secondly, immigrants are perceived as threats in Canada. Because we mostly come with at least 2 post secondary qualifications, have worked for at least 5-7 years, in 2-3 different countries before stepping inside Canada. That's way too much to swallow for a Canadian Manager, who at most drives from Sudbury to Toronto or have ventured to some 3-4 day vacation in Phuket. These kind of managers think such kind of immigrant is either lying or if true - then he/she is dead on THREAT!

Who is mostly targeted among immigrants. Mostly male, colored immigrants are targeted.

Its a struggle to be an internationally educated immigrant in Canada. We are labelled as 'over-qualified', lacking Canadian experience, having lot of syllables in our names (I've seen Albertans butchering French names so i dont feel bad anymore:)...but what we are not told openly is that we lack connections. We haven't spend time with those hiring managers during their college years, or in their gym session, or haven't played golf with them or simply not dated their daughters. The ones who have done that - are the ones getting the job. This is the simple & ugly truth.

Caliber, merit, qualifications? Nah! In most of the industry, those things do not matter. Its WHO you know, NOT what you know. I wonder, why make all this journey when back in our homelands, its the same story. Where is the civilized, educated and caring westerner glamorized in media. To me, Canadian Immigration seems to be a very successful scam. Every immigrant has to bring $10k atleast at the time of entry to Canada. So 300,000 people immigrating every year, means $3Billion dollar instantly every year in your economy without any investments. That's a good one you played on us.

But in the near future, we colored immigrants will be in the majority. Unfortunately, your children will face the trends you are setting today.
Post a reply