Forum

HRD Canada forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Notify me of new replies via email
HRM CA | 26 May 2016, 08:00 AM Agree 0
It’s the most common chronic neurological disorder but relatively few have ever been educated on it – should your staff be in the know?
  • Tanya Sieliakus, VP Consulting Services | 30 Jun 2016, 09:45 AM Agree 0
    "People with epilepsy are up to twice as likely to be at risk of unemployment compared with those who don’t have the condition, said Matthew Sowemimo, Epilepsy Society Director of External Affairs and Fundraising."

As a person with epilepsy my opinion is that "not educating my colleagues is not a barrier to employment". The fact is that there are very few situations in which I would have to disclose my epilepsy prior to an offer of employment. Hence, epilepsy does not affect my ability to be obtain employed.

Epilepsy can, however, be a barrier to continued employment. And, for this reason I should disclose my condition and provide medical evidence to support any accommodation I might require.

For example, my epilepsy has many triggers. Sudden or prolonged change in barometric pressure is a significant trigger. Hence, on the third day of rain I am not well and the likelihood of me getting to work, or staying at work for a full day, is not great. If there is a strict attendance policy with consequences for absenteeism and there is no "conversation" between me and my employer I might very well find myself unemployed.

Conversations need to happen. Medical substantiation needs to be provided. And, accommodations need to be made. It's very simple actually.

Post a reply