Forum

HRD Canada forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Notify me of new replies via email
HRM CA | 27 Feb 2017, 08:00 AM Agree 0
Top leaders are more likely to suffer depression yet relatively few ever speak up – now, one industry coach is pushing for change.
  • Linda Corkum | 27 Feb 2017, 09:32 AM Agree 0
    The stigma surrounding mental illness runs deep. Most people struggling with mental illness do so in silence, regardless of their role in the workplace. We have learned that most people are more apt to open up about their own personal stories and journeys when they learn of someone else's challenges and successes, especially if it is from someone they know.
  • Reliable Employee | 27 Feb 2017, 04:22 PM Agree 0
    I worked for small mental health organization where the Executive Director had mental health issues.

She never admitted to it but we all knew, especially since we all had lived experience...She never came clean but when she would have an episode we stayed out of her way until it passed.

Seemed like a double standards to me, the org was a mental health advocate working toward breaking down stigma...yet the leader of the org was ashamed of her own personal struggle with mental health...
  • Michael Newton | 01 Mar 2017, 02:42 PM Agree 0
    It is the responsibility of Leaders to sensitize their team to mental health issues - be it for management, understanding, empathy, treatment, support, etc... As Managing Partner of a 100+ person Firm in Montreal, anxiety, depression, OCD etc have been part of my life for decades, it took me a long time to face the issue, and then 5 years to 'own up' to our team.

The team building/trust that has been established by being transparent and open has worked wonders for STARTING to remove the stigma. I think all leaders need to be open and aware, not only of the effects of their behavior on others, but also on the 'human element' that comes with owning up to illness - no one is afraid to say they have cancer today - why should I be embarrassed to say that I have struggled with anxiety and depression?

I am very successful, and at times these 'curses' have driven me forward to perform and surpass those who do not face their own reality. I am proud to say that I cope and conquer - but the reality is I will deal with it all my life.

I am highly functioning, highly aware and highly transparent...and highly proud of helping to reverse the negativity of illnesses that will only get worse in our workplace, before they get better

Michael Newton
Post a reply