Forum

HRD Canada forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Notify me of new replies via email
HRM CA | 11 Sep 2015, 08:00 AM Agree 0
The professional networking site is at the centre of a workplace-sexism storm after one user publicly shamed another.
  • Kelly | 11 Sep 2015, 09:05 AM Agree 0
    I've had this happen to me before but I've just ignored the sender. I personally didn't find it offensive and thought that must be quite the picture I have!

I think "outing" the sender the way Proudman did was taking this too far. It speaks to social media in general and how people over use it for quick satisfaction.
  • Bonnie Reid | 11 Sep 2015, 10:01 AM Agree 0
    social media and life lessons of the inexperienced; seems she brands all men who gives a complement as sexist...too bad, as this has ruptured a potential work contact and she ends up getting her own label at the end of the day. Perhaps apolgies for misunderstandings are in order???
  • Marsha Goldford | 11 Sep 2015, 12:13 PM Agree 0
    Wow...much ado about nothing. I think people learn to accept compliments at face value.
  • Lynda Smith | 11 Sep 2015, 02:45 PM Agree 0
    I hardly think that comment was sexist.

Sexism:
    "Prejudice, stereotyping, or discrimination, typically against women, on the basis of sex:
    sexism in language is an offensive reminder of the way the culture sees women"

Compliment:
    "A polite expression of praise or admiration"

Talk about blowing it out of proportion.
  • Marie | 14 Sep 2015, 08:59 AM Agree 0
    I agree with the above comments; the statements made by Carter-Silk are not sexist, in my opinion he's just complimenting a professionally-looking picture. He even recognizes it's politically incorrect to make the remark.
    It's funny that Proudman says, "another woman (half your age)..." - so she uses ageism to counter sexism?! Age doesn't matter if she wants others to only look at her skills...
  • Ielean Tait | 14 Sep 2015, 11:32 AM Agree 0
    I agree, much ado about nothing, it was a compliment, take it at face value.
Post a reply