Forum

HRD Canada forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Notify me of new replies via email
HRM CA | 03 Mar 2014, 09:15 AM Agree 0
A Sears employee caught on camera making racist comments shows HR needs to step up the training for frontline staff.
  • Laura | 05 Mar 2014, 09:08 AM Agree 0
    Yes, the "boat" comment was rude and inappropriate and he should be reprimanded for that, through suspension (without pay) but instead of firing him, I think he should should receive training for customer service and diversity and equity training. In fact, the latter is something that would benefit all persons working in customer service.
    The customer, however, reacted aggressively and was not behaving appropriately either. So rather than just fire the guy, Sears should take this as an opportunity to implement diversity training for all of their employees.
  • Manuel | 05 Mar 2014, 12:57 PM Agree 0
    A suspension is a serious reprimand and may be adequate to satisfactorily enlighten the person on what is acceptable and what is not. "Did you just get off the boat" is a disrespectful comment to use with a customer. However, in my opinion, there are other remarks or insults that are more deserving of termination. The employer should consider other factors like length of service, work record, etc.
  • Joanne | 07 Mar 2014, 11:40 AM Agree 0
    In your last post it stated that Sears ultimately terminated the employee. I had commented that I would agree with the suspension but not a termination. Good luck to Sears at arbitration if the employee belongs to a union or good luck in court as they will not win if this was an isolated incident as termination was too severe.
Post a reply