Forum

HRD Canada forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Notify me of new replies via email
HRM CA | 21 Oct 2014, 10:49 AM Agree 0
A new report seems to be tossing out on its ear a stereotype about civil servants at the same time it highlights challenges for their HR professionals.
  • Justin B. | 21 Oct 2014, 01:20 PM Agree 0
    In Canada, I would say our public servants are certainly not overworked. But speaking to contacts in the public service, there is a lot of wasted labour and resources as well as some incredibly toxic work environments. Unfortunately, the unions make it difficult to affect change.
  • Paul R. | 28 Oct 2014, 02:11 PM Agree 0
    I would say that Justin B.'s view of Canadian public servants is more informed by the opinions of the Canadian Taxpayers Federation than by actual research and observation. If you look at studies on the public service by academics like Linda Duxbury, you'll see that the situation in Canada is at least as grim as in New Zealand. Here's a link to Duxbury talking about the pubic service work environment in 2012: http://www.teachers.ab.ca/Publications/ATA%20Magazine/Volume%2092/Number-4/Pages/The-overloaded-work-life-of-Canadians.aspx
  • leon | 30 Oct 2014, 02:09 PM Agree 0
    Riiiiiiiight Justin B. that is why a large number of my coworkers in HR, come in on their weekends to "catch up" on work they couldn't get done in the work week....for no pay. i agree with Paul R., it is a problem, to provide the level of service expected with a continuous erosion of support to do the work.
    Additionally, none of the Government HR professionals i work with are union employees, these are confidential exclusions (as are most in government) and don't have union rights, so stop with the union bashing, this is about hard working people having expectations placed on them that are not acheivable in the regular work week. If the work Public Servants do was easy, anyone could/would do it.
Post a reply