Forum

HRD Canada forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Notify me of new replies via email
HRM CA | 04 Sep 2015, 08:00 AM Agree 0
It now has over half a million views on YouTube. But this political protest song could end up in termination for one folk-singing public servant.
  • Stéphane Aubry | 04 Sep 2015, 09:24 AM Agree 0
    To a limited degree, I agree with you that an individual who participate in political activities, who present himself as a public servant, would be in breach of the Code of Ethics conditional to his employment. But in this case, Tony did not present himself as a public servant, is not in conflict of interest with his work, and did not breach it’s loyalty to his employer, the crown and its representant the Governor General.
    According to SCC in Osborne (1991), public servants are entitled to participate in democratic election activities, as any citizen of our country. http://www.canlii.org/en/ca/scc/doc/1991/1991canlii60/1991canlii60.html?autocompleteStr=osborne&autocompletePos=1#

Stéphane Aubry
    PIPSC VP
  • Rick | 04 Sep 2015, 10:49 AM Agree 0
    Good luck in your next job Tony, If you worked for my company you would already be on your way down the road, (road , road).
  • Rob | 04 Sep 2015, 03:35 PM Agree 0
    What a pile of garbage this article is! Whoever keeps writing this partisan crap should resign.
  • Tom from Burnaby BC | 06 Sep 2015, 03:10 PM Agree 0
    Great article.

Let us get a fresh new face voted into federal government and we won't have this kind of serious comedy.

Go Democracy Go!
    Great article.

Let us get a fresh new face voted into federal government and we won't have this kind of serious comedy.

Go Democracy Go!
    Great article.

Go Democracy Go!
    Great article.

Go Democracy Go!
    Great article.

Go Democracy Go!
    Great article.

Go Democracy Go!
  • Rene O'Brien | 06 Sep 2015, 09:45 PM Agree 0
    Any thought of making an example of this individual simply confirms the narrative of the song he was involved in producing.
    He has not in anyway used the knowledge he gained while on the job to expose a political opinion of how the government in handling any portfolio his employment is attached to.

Rather he has simply put to music the record of this government from his perspective as a Canadian. Since he has not used specific information made available to him because of the job in my opinion he has committed no "crime" and should in no way be punished for expressing his position as a Canadian citizen.

Have we not had enough of this oppressive garbage.

I have been practicing employee relations for more than 40 years and in this case enough is enough....

Rene

Post a reply