Forum

HRD Canada forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Notify me of new replies via email
HRM CA | 19 Apr 2016, 08:00 AM Agree 0
A leading employment lawyer has offered his insight into the recently introduced bills which could bring change to the ESA.
  • Jeannie McQuaid | 25 Apr 2016, 08:43 AM Agree 0
    I have no problem with Bill 175. Most employers would extend additional time off to a parent in these circumstances as a matter of compassion and practicality.
    But Bill 177 endeavors to make employers social workers yet again. Employers are NOT the ones who should be educating society about sexual and domestic violence. Moreover, every time employers are thrust into dealing with their employee's personal life, they become more open to accusations of discrimination. As the HR Manager, I do not want to know details of my employees' private lives, become their legal advisor or adjudicator of social assistance. Domestic/Sexual Violence Leave should be unpaid leave by the employer, lost wages reimbursed through either EI or the Ontario Works program.
Post a reply