Forum

HRD Canada forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Notify me of new replies via email
HRM CA | 05 May 2014, 09:11 AM Agree 0
As the restaurant industry deals with being cut off from the foreign worker program, more exploited individuals are speaking up about death threats and "modern day slavery".
  • FR | 05 May 2014, 12:33 PM Agree 0
    Disgusting, the difficult part about identifying similar abuse is fear. The victims will usually put up with the abuse in favour of not being deported.
  • Ann | 05 May 2014, 02:28 PM Agree 0
    The federal immigration authorities and provincial labour departments need to collaborate to ensure that every single temporary foreign worker is aware of his/her rights and how to enforce them. Furthermore, the federal government needs to consider a method for ensuring that temporary foreign workers who complain in good faith are not deported upon being fired (which will happen) and can get another job. Otherwise, financial dependent workers will never complain.
  • Dawn | 05 May 2014, 03:52 PM Agree 0
    I have a family member connected to a group of Filipinos who work under the TFW program. One group of up to 10 lived in a garage with bunks along the walls and a washroom. They were charged rent by their 'agent' who brought them over. He also found them other work to do which was outside their LMO and was illegal. He charged an agency fee to get them a job in Canada in the first place!
  • Mal | 05 May 2014, 08:22 PM Agree 0
    Why doesn't the government have a 2-3 weeks mandatory training programs for foreign workers, providing them with training on their rights and obligations under the employment law. I also think that small business owners and employers who have very few employees, local or foreign worker also need to be trained on employment law. It must be mandatory for all business owner to pass a preliminary test on employment law before they are provided with a business number. A test similar to the 360 test taken by student drivers. Where the student needs to pass the 360 test before she is allowed to drive on the road as well as attend driving test.
  • Tom from Burnaby BC | 10 May 2014, 08:11 PM Agree 0
    This is what I hear all the time,

it is all about the bottom line for companies in canada or usa,

pay the lowest wages to anyone that will work for them, lie to the regulatory boards who are taking layoffs due to no money governments and pay the execs top wages.

This is what I hear all the time,
  • Islandgirl | 13 May 2014, 11:05 AM Agree 0
    I suggest the federal government supply each TFW upon entry into Canada with a fact sheet of basic information. It should be available in multiple languages, simple to comprehend and contain the basic terms and conditions for employment of TFWs. It should also contain contact information for reporting any abusive situations.
Post a reply