Forum

HRD Canada forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Notify me of new replies via email
HRM CA | 05 Sep 2012, 09:00 AM Agree 0
Everyone has their own preference, but are there scientific reasons to support one over the other?
  • Amy Coors | 06 Sep 2012, 06:55 AM Agree 0
    I am printing the first half of this list and sticking it to the pinboard above my desk - great to know those piles of paper are making me more creative and efficient!
  • Jake Henderson | 06 Sep 2012, 06:57 AM Agree 0
    I think #2 on the tidy list is the real reason to have a clear, accessible space. Regardless of these scientific studies, most managers will judge your organizational skills by the state of your desk. If you want a promotion or increase responsibility it's in your best interest to appear well-organized.
  • Lyn Cunningham | 06 Sep 2012, 01:26 PM Agree 0
    This is the old 'filers vs pilers' arguement. For visual learners items in a drawer might as well be on the moon as in 'out of sight, out of mind' but for the OCDers it is a disaster area if not tidily in a drawer. Where the information is is much less important than whether its owner can find information when it is needed. As for bosses that believe tidy desks are a sign of good management I can only ask how much are you paying for it-hands busy filing are not actively involved in the work itself....
  • Sophie | 06 Sep 2012, 10:57 PM Agree 0
    Jake, my CEO has the messiest desk in the entire organization... I guess the top execs don't have to worry about impressing people!
Post a reply