Forum

HRD Canada forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Notify me of new replies via email
HRM CA | 17 Mar 2014, 06:01 AM Agree 0
They’re meeting all their work goals, but driving their colleagues crazy. What’s HR to do?
  • Dan | 12 Feb 2013, 11:45 AM Agree 0
    Couldn't agree more with the notion that bad behaviour is a performance issue and very quickly creates a situation whereby team members don't want to work with the offending employee.
    Q. Any advice for the situation where the behavioural issue is an identified mental health problem for which the employee is seeking treatment?
  • Caitlin Nobes | 12 Feb 2013, 12:00 PM Agree 0
    Hi Dan,
    That's a good question. I'll look into it and will see about putting some editorial together on the issue. In the meantime here are a couple stories about recent court cases dealing with mental illness at work:
    http://www.hrmonline.ca/article/legal-eye-employers-entitled-to-some-mental-health-info-in-disability-claims-124135.aspx
    http://www.hrmonline.ca/article/grocery-store-pays-20000-for-human-rights-code-violation-124700.aspx

Hope that helps!
  • Varta | 12 Feb 2013, 02:45 PM Agree 0
    I experienced having to deal with a problem of productivity affected by behaviors. Having investigated,I concluded that it was not possible to arrive at 'black and white' conclusion and therefore no a quick fix was avaialble - both parties (accused and those who were affected)needed some training. It is acknowledged that it takes great communications skills along with emotional resilience to do well in in a current corporate culture and social expectations. We need to educate employees about diversity and acceptance which goes beyond colour of skin, gender, sexual orientation or religion and that cultural differences and set of personal beliefs is what makes us human. Corporate culture often condones pack like behaviour (group bullying)as well as 'go with a flow' style rather than coexisting. Workshop about how to embrace differences (e.g.MBTI) is one of the steps to correcting behaviours rather than accepting the rule of majority and conformity.
  • Help | 13 Feb 2013, 11:03 AM Agree 0
    What do you do when the toxic person is the head of HR? When this person walks into a room employees leave and avoid any contact with this person, some employees are afraid of this person. This person knows no boundarie, they invade your person space to make you feel intimiated,they have bebate and talk about personal think in the open office where others can hear. Yes, when this person is around my team is less productive because the are watching there step not to end up in this persons radar. When this person is not in the office the whole office is more produtive and alot happier. How do we handle this situation?
  • Lori | 18 Mar 2014, 10:52 AM Agree 0
    What is the response to Help?
    Help on 13/02/2013 11:03:02 AM
    What do you do when the toxic person is the head of HR? When this person walks into a room employees leave and avoid any contact with this person, some employees are afraid of this person. This person knows no boundarie, they invade your person space to make you feel intimiated,they have bebate and talk about personal think in the open office where others can hear. Yes, when this person is around my team is less productive because the are watching there step not to end up in this persons radar. When this person is not in the office the whole office is more produtive and alot happier. How do we handle this situation?

• Jezzee Valenzuela | 19 Mar 2014, 09:41 AM Agree 0
    Employees tend to avoid hanging around with HR personnel since they feel intimidated by maybe saying the wrong things, behaving badly, etc. that often perceived may affect their performance reviews. HR personnel are trained to be people oriented regardless of the employees origin, beliefs, sexual orientation etc. They work with the human resources for the betterment and success of the firm they all work for.

It is unfortunate that your HR Manager is regarded as "Toxic". As Head of your department, I would suggest to talk in private to your HR Manager about the unhappy office environment that you just described and maybe resolve some issues. If you had addressed this issue before with her/him and still no changes are done then speak in private with her/his immediate Boss and try to resolve these issues.

Good luck!
Post a reply