Forum

HRD Canada forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Notify me of new replies via email
HRM CA | 06 Aug 2014, 08:21 AM Agree 0
It’s never easy to terminate an employee, but it can be necessary. HRM asked one legal expert about the mistakes she sees being made – and how to avoid them.
  • Ella | 06 Aug 2014, 12:56 PM Agree 0
    Thank you! I have always viewed PIP' with very mixed feelings. In my experience a PIP has been given to someone knowing full well that you wanted to terminate them. Instead of breaking the relationship quickly and cleanly with severance the unfortunate employee suffers for 3 - 6 months worried about their position. Not to mention the cost the company experiences due to a job poorly done. I think it is cruel and definitely sends the wrong message, not giving HR initiatives any credibility. Often I have seen them used as you first suggested - a bridge to prove incompetence. I think sometimes we in HR just forget to be kind.
  • Danny G | 06 Aug 2014, 02:08 PM Agree 0
    I'm confused as to why anyone would ever do that. HR 101 - Never put an employee on a PIP that you (ie. the manager /team) don't think has the potential, willingness and long term fit. To me a PIP if for those fence sitters - they are hovering in mediocrity and just need a nudge to get back on the track to high performance. If they have already fallen off the fence into 'no man's land' and the relationship is irreparably broken then a PIP won't turn it around.
  • Ella | 06 Aug 2014, 04:35 PM Agree 0
    Hi Danny, Case in point read this http://www.tlnt.com/2012/06/01/weekly-wrap-the-dirty-little-secret-of-performance-improvement-plans/

I would love to come work for your organization but I think the reality is more like I described. Maybe I am jaded?
Post a reply