Forum

HRD Canada forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Notify me of new replies via email
HRM CA | 10 Sep 2014, 11:10 AM Agree 0
Where was HR when this company made “multiple violations” of the human rights code during a hiring process?
  • Elaine | 10 Sep 2014, 12:10 PM Agree 0
    To answer your "Where was HR?" question, I would guess Jesse is a one-man show. Not fair to blame HR for Jesse's actions. Let's blame Jesse if we want to point fingers.
  • Joanne | 10 Sep 2014, 12:16 PM Agree 0
    OMG. I hope other employers see/hear of this and understand that is why they should have an HR dept. Bad PR for that company.
  • Jennifer | 10 Sep 2014, 01:49 PM Agree 0
    Having an HR Dept may stop the employer from making statements to applicants, but it doesn't necessarily stop the behaviour. I worked for a woman's organization and the director wouldn't listen to me when I told her she couldn't discriminate and hire only non-white females. She went ahead and did as she pleased. I was left in a position of believing that she was breaking the law, but not being able to convince her to stop doing it. Needless to say my tenure with that organization was very short-lived.
  • Karen | 10 Sep 2014, 01:56 PM Agree 0
    "Where was HR?" HR provides information, sometimes protection, and often much needed guidance. HR department aside, I don't see how having one would make a difference in this person's outlook. HR cannot force individuals to behave and respect fellow human beings. The comments of this Jesse character are those of an ignorant, illiterate racist. HR can't fix that and PR can only dress it up and make it smell better than it really is.
  • Buck | 10 Sep 2014, 02:11 PM Agree 0
    I have left the field of HR work due to the discriminatory practice of hiring mostly women and being the only (white) male in the room and getting the look at an HR meeting when providing comments -who brought the dude.
  • Buck | 10 Sep 2014, 02:17 PM Agree 0
    I have left the HR field due to the discriminatory practice of hiring mostly females, being the only (white)man in the room, listening to inappropriate talk about spa visits, etc. and getting the "who brought the dude" stare by an HR committee/ meeting when providing input. I got tired of it and you certainly feel unwelcome.
  • Zak | 10 Sep 2014, 10:59 PM Agree 0
    I am glad that the candidate complained to the OHRT, in this case they made the right decision based on the evidence given. What shocks me is how blatant the bias was communicated to the candidate.
Post a reply