Forum

HRD Canada forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Notify me of new replies via email
HRM CA | 09 Nov 2015, 08:00 AM Agree 0
Find out how readers responded when HRM asked the controversial question that splits opinion.
  • Doug | 09 Nov 2015, 11:06 AM Agree 0
    The societal 'gender wage gap' is real and well-documented. It persists due to occupational segregation and other factors.

The question for most organizations though is, do the wage policies of the organization result in pay discrimination?

There are some easy ways to test for this in organizations that have a defined salary structure (i.e., salary ranges with midpoints). If female compa-ratios are systemically lower than male compa-ratios then the issue deserves closer examination to determine why that would be the case (remember that with any other human rights issue it is up to the employer to 'prove' it is not discriminating).

When Ontario first introduced the Pay Equity Act I remember that Hay did a study that showed within-firm wage differentials revealed a 'wage gap' of about 4% in organizations that used the Hay method of job evaluation.

It is up to HR professionals to ensure that pay policies and both free of systemic discrimination and implemented without bias also.
  • Shine | 07 Dec 2015, 02:59 AM Agree 0
    gender wage gap, according to me it is not there in professional business.
Post a reply