Forum

HRD Canada forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Notify me of new replies via email
HRM CA | 14 Mar 2014, 10:09 AM Agree 0
Almost 8,000 Irish workers will get two-year work visas to Canada this year, with many headed for the regions most in need of skilled employees.
  • Rhonda Lavigne | 14 Mar 2014, 11:28 AM Agree 0
    I am interested in knowing which trades are included in the 3850 visas that were issued yesterday.
  • Jobsearch.ca | 14 Mar 2014, 02:23 PM Agree 0
    Rhonda, I believe most of these visas are a result of a hunting expedition by the B.C. Construction Association. They were looking to fill positions such as bricklayers, framing carpenters, power-line technicians and welders.

http://www.jobsearch.ca/career-resources/job-search/rising-need-healthcare-workers/
  • Jeff | 17 Mar 2014, 07:49 AM Agree 0
    So, rather than hire and train Canadians for this line of work, the companies instead look outside this country for workers. And people wonder why Canadians are so disillusioned with employment in this country. This is a perfect opportunity for these companies to hire people for apprenticeships and train people, but instead, they look outside the country for workers. And people wonder why Canadians feel jilted.
  • Meaghan | 19 Mar 2014, 03:09 PM Agree 0
    These are Working Holiday visas issued through the International Experience Canada (IEC) program. The program is first-come, first-served and does not target specific employment categories. The visas are "open" and allow participants to work in almost any occupation in Canada, but does not guarantee employment.
    http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca/ireland-irlande/experience_canada_experience/index.aspx?lang=eng
  • Brian Ward | 24 Mar 2014, 08:33 AM Agree 0
    As an Irish immigrant who worked as a HR Manager after landing in Canada over twenty five years ago, I was shocked to learn that the interest amongst young Canadians in taking up a trade was very, very low. Not much has changed. We still need to source tradespeople abroad, especially in English speaking countries where, unlike Canada, the education system actually encourages students to take up a trade.
Post a reply