Forum

HRD Canada forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Notify me of new replies via email
HRM CA | 17 Jul 2014, 06:03 AM Agree 0
A qualified professional who wasn’t getting any work found one little change on his resume fixed things, but this isn’t good news.
  • Sue | 17 Jul 2014, 02:02 PM Agree 0
    No change in attitude in the last 35 years, women are still 2nd class citizen in the career world and it is not because they haven't tried, as is being banted around these days - how many times do you bloody your fore head banging it on a wall just to watch the "guy" next to you move up the ranks. And lets talk about work life balance or from the company perspective, imbalance. I know of women how have succeeded but almost died doing it from exhaustion balancing the crazy demands of a career and the important role of parenthood. I also know of many women who let motherhood go because they knew they couldn't do both and they started with the career. In Canada why work for less than a man for the same job when all things are equal - nope corporate canada and all other jurisdications better get a handle on this as the best of us won't bend to their growing demands of more with less if compensation is as lop-sidded as it is today. DUH
  • Sue | 17 Jul 2014, 02:02 PM Agree 0
    No change in attitude in the last 35 years, women are still 2nd class citizen in the career world and it is not because they haven't tried, as is being banted around these days - how many times do you bloody your fore head banging it on a wall just to watch the "guy" next to you move up the ranks. And lets talk about work life balance or from the company perspective, imbalance. I know of women how have succeeded but almost died doing it from exhaustion balancing the crazy demands of a career and the important role of parenthood. I also know of many women who let motherhood go because they knew they couldn't do both and they started with the career. In Canada why work for less than a man for the same job when all things are equal - nope corporate canada and all other jurisdications better get a handle on this as the best of us won't bend to their growing demands of more with less if compensation is as lop-sidded as it is today. DUH
  • A Rare Man in HR | 17 Jul 2014, 05:20 PM Agree 0
    I think we're much less biased these days, although I do believe gender bias does still exist, albeit often on a subconscious level.

Women can and do have difficulties in male-dominated fields, and that's intolerable in 2014. However, in a female-dominated field like HR, I would argue that it's males who are discriminated against. It's really tough being a man in a field like HR that is perceived to be a "pink collar ghetto!"

Of course, I have no proof of this, but my belief is that employers often have a preconceived notion in their heads about what the "ideal" candidate looks like. Other than perhaps some of the most senior positions (or very specialized areas like labour relations or compensation) it seems to me like, more often than not, in HR that ideal candidate is automatically assumed to be female.

I have also experienced awkward situations working in some otherwise all female HR departments that would have resulted in sexual harassment allegations if I were the lone female in an otherwise all male department. I suppose the root of the problem was I could never just be "one of the girls."

I am trying to find another job in HR, and I have sent out countless resumes over the past few years. Yet, I cannot even get a phone call for an HR job. There are other possible reasons for this, but I believe it is partially due to me being a man. I have spoken with another male HR colleague who agrees completely with me on this.

I am almost ready to give up on the HR field entirely and do something else (something more stereotypically "male"). Women had it very tough for many years, but there is simply no excuse for gender bias in this day and age - whether it be against females or males!
  • Edwardo Caeceros | 18 Jul 2014, 11:57 AM Agree 0
    I have issue with Neil Morrison's idea that companies have a vested interested in employing the best person for the job. Neil makes it seem like those who feel discriminated against are only perceiving discrimination and that it is in reality not occuring. This notion is completely false and patronizing to people who feel disadvantaged. The reality is people hire who they like - it is not necessarily about who is the most qualified for the job. Hopefully things will change soon!
  • Jojo | 21 Jul 2014, 03:03 PM Agree 0
    I knew a woman who met the same problems. Luckily, she could change her name from Alexandria to Alex on her resume and instantly received call backs. Another man I knew who has a very Polish name never received callbacks even though he has spent his entire life in Canada, he changed his name from Majec to Matt simply to ensure he would get call backs.
Post a reply