Forum

HRD Canada forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Notify me of new replies via email
HRM CA | 27 Mar 2014, 12:00 AM Agree 0
So often we reflect on the latest, most up-to-date industry trends without any thought to look back. However, it pays to take stock of how far the profession has come. Are you stuck in the past?
  • David | 10 Apr 2013, 12:42 PM Agree 0
    I cringe most whenever I hear "shhh, HR is in the room". I'm not the etiquette police...far from it!
  • David | 10 Apr 2013, 12:43 PM Agree 0
    Sadly, one of the greates compliments I received from an IT Director working on a large insourcing deal was, "I like you! You don't talk like you're in HR". But I get it!
  • Chris | 27 Mar 2014, 12:04 PM Agree 0
    Ahhh, the bane of our existence! What is regrettable is that "those personnel types" really believe they're doing HR the right way and we're wasting time trying to become executives! Hopefully articles like this one will help to shift their thinking. This is why I prefer my title to be "Consultant" because it has a less threatening connotation than "Advisor" or "Analyst" (a term used in my organization for the grey zone between Assistant and Advisor. As a matter of fact, the whole department should be called "Human Resources Consulting" and each HRC employee should be called "HRC - Consultant" or "HRC - Manager" or "HRC - Director" or "HRC - Assistant".... Thoughts anyone? I'm interested in hearing about other creative ways to banish the old institution.
  • Janine | 27 Mar 2014, 06:43 PM Agree 0
    I have often been referred to as the non traditional HR person with more than 20 years of my career spent in the 'business'. Making the transition to HR allowed me to realize a goal set some 20 years ago. Imagine my surprise when in a management meeting where I questioned some financials that were not adding up and my CEO loudly announced 'and that's from the HR person'. Of course it was, just because I am in HR does not mean I don't understand business. My point it is not only HR people who holds the profession back, it's 'the business leaders'.
  • Tammy | 31 Mar 2014, 10:34 AM Agree 0
    Excellent comments. HR has certainly evolved and continues to evolve to meet the changing needs within the workplace. I agree with Chris and that we are consultants and coaches to both our employers and employees. I've often received similar remarks as David and I also 'get it', but I totally agree with Janine that in order to remove the personnel type behaviour, some business leaders need to be better educated-and it's up to HR practitioners and professionals to influence change within their peers and organizations that still operate in the dark ages.
Post a reply