Forum

HRD Canada forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Notify me of new replies via email
HRM CA | 27 Jan 2014, 06:11 AM Agree 0
Delivering bad news can often provoke an angry response from who ever is on the receiving end – an expert shares her tips for managing an angry employee.
  • kb | 27 Jan 2014, 02:52 PM Agree 0
    Getting help and taking a break (giving you an opportunity to get help as well as rethinking everything you've heard and regrouping) can be very important. Coming back for another discussion after time for a cool down may be a very good strategy, but I think the suggestion of handing the angry person off to someone else is fraught with risk--big companies may have an EAP or an organizational psychologist but that simply isn't a reality for most of us. If the manager can't deal with a problem and appears to be shuffling it off to someone else because they don't know what to do they will appear weak and lose credibility. Not a good outcome at all. Better to work through it with a good faith determination to be fair, be willing to listen, and find a solution is better. I agree that in many cases the angry person most wants to be heard. Their anger will diffuse when it is clear that someone with authority will listen and respond even if they don't end up getting what they want.
Post a reply