Forum

HRD Canada forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Notify me of new replies via email
HRM CA | 15 Feb 2017, 08:00 AM Agree 0
HRM looks beyond the awkwardness at some practical tips for delivering the feedback that no one wants to receive.
  • New Manager | 15 Feb 2017, 09:47 AM Agree 0
    The way you have described the approach could work with someone genuinely interested in progressing. It will need to be even more creative in situations where the individual has no ambition to progress for various reasons. In that case would one even need to address it if there are no health or other performance? The challenge is even greater in a government workplace.
  • Michelle | 15 Feb 2017, 10:39 AM Agree 0
    No one denies that appearance is important. But what is missing here is recognizing the potential for unconscious biases and prejudices when judging one's appearance. For example, when women of colour are seen as "unprofessional" when wearing their hair natural.
  • Nancy Fisher | 15 Feb 2017, 04:35 PM Agree 0
    I agree with the comments about barriers to this discussion. It's different than talking to an employee about poor personal hygiene which goes beyond "presence" (or perceptions of it) to unpleasant work environment. A more difficult but necessary discussion to have.
  • Sue Daharry, CHRL | 17 Feb 2017, 04:03 PM Agree 0
    I have had opportunities to discuss both personal hygiene and unprofessional appearance in the workplace. In each situation the individual welcomed and appreciated the discussion. Some employees are honestly not aware, so bringing it to their attention can be a positive experience as opposed finger pointing and gossiping at the water cooler.

In my experience when done with tact and sensitivity, it can be a positive experience all around.

Post a reply