Forum

HRD Canada forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Notify me of new replies via email
HRM CA | 25 Jun 2015, 08:15 AM Agree 0
The former chief talent officer of streaming giant Netflix explains how the company created a ‘Culture Deck’ that has since gone viral.
  • Carl Canning | 26 Jun 2015, 08:12 AM Agree 0
    Great article however how can you not get personal feelings in the way when facing laying off a 30 year employee who's really aged out and don't contribute to the team any more? He's drawing over $100K annually and really doing nothing of value to the company? He does not have his finances in order and would never get hired anywhere else?
  • Isabella | 01 Jul 2015, 11:50 AM Agree 0
    I agree with Carl. The Netflix approach elegant in theory but very American in application. Very harsh with the shareholder and profitability as gods. They are very early in their life as a corporation and likely don't have any employee over 35. Oh, and they have a corporation that's currently sexy so they can attract staff... (for the time being and until they are yesterday's news in the big competitive world) That's an easy scenario to put any kind of HR strategy in place and have apparent success. Let's talk to them in 25 years and see how it's going.
  • Amy | 07 Jul 2015, 03:50 PM Agree 0
    Letting anyone go is never an easy task. There are many factors which impact the individual, organization and the team. One piece that I liked from their approach are the ongoing feedback conversations that take place between the manager and employee. This provides the employee with insights on how they can improve and recognition on what they are doing well. Feedback conversations that are just in time provide no surprises later on. This approach also promotes a learning culture where employees are encouraged to continuously learn to stay competitive.
Post a reply