Forum

HRM Online forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Notify me of new replies via email
HRM CA | 11 Mar 2016, 08:00 AM Agree 0
A recent court case is revealing the lengths to which employers must go in order to avoid discrimination claims.
  • Lorraine | 12 Mar 2016, 08:45 AM Agree 0
    Flatt is really reaching and what she proposed is not necessary. My son was totally breast milk fed after I returned to work, HOWEVER, I expressed my milk several times a day, DURING MY COFFEE AND LUNCH BREAKS, and saved that milk to be fed to my son throughout the day. I walked to my sitter's on lunch and fed my son and walked back to work. It can be done, and you don't need to demand extra paid time to do it.
  • Laura | 16 Mar 2016, 02:22 PM Agree 0
    I am 28 weeks pregnant and an HR professional and although I plan to breastfeed as well, I don't believe that it was fair or reasonable for Flatt to expect that this be done during paid company time, period. Especially after the company had already granted her an additional 4 months LOA following her mat leave. I see no reason why she couldn't pump in the restroom or private area at work during her breaks, and refrigerate the milk for the following day for the daycare to provide to her child. Glad that the courts came to this decision and that this isn't setting a precedent.
  • Lorraine | 17 Mar 2016, 08:01 AM Agree 0
    I agree with your comment, Laura. When I did exactly what you suggest, was at a time when we didn't get a year off. It was 34 years ago and I had only 5 weeks off following the birth, so I had to come up with a solution if I wanted my son totally breast-milk fed, so I found a good sitter close to work. It CAN be done. No need to make MORE demands on the employer. Incidentally, my career was HR as well. :)
  • Emma | 22 Mar 2016, 09:58 AM Agree 0
    My child (currently 18 months) is still breastfed and when I returned after extended mat leave, I pumped twice a day. The employer is obligated to give you that time outside lunch and breaks and Laura, restroom is the last place one should be pumping or breastfeeding (IMO). Boardrooms and closed offices can be made available.
    My child refused bottles from the get-go so I can also understand wanting to directly breastfeed. In the above case, the employer was very accommodating and the employee should have made reciprocal efforts as well.
Post a reply