Forum

HRD Canada forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Notify me of new replies via email
HRM CA | 21 May 2014, 06:11 AM Agree 0
A big portion of an employee’s year is spent at work but which country is clocking up the most hours? The results may surprise you.
  • Joanne | 22 May 2014, 10:50 AM Agree 0
    1702 seems really low to me, where do they get these numbers? 1702 divide by 50 weeks (allowing for 2 weeks vacation) = 34.04 hours per week less minimum 1/2 hour for lunch break (2.50 hours)= a total of 31.50 hours per week. Who works those hours? Sign me up for a 31.50 hour week.
  • Kate | 22 May 2014, 12:27 PM Agree 0
    Joanne - according to the OECD Factbook, (which I'm assuming uses the same definitions as the OECD Better Life Index), the data on hours worked includes part-time employees. This could explain why the statistic on the average hours worked in Canada seems low.

"The average number of hour worked per year is calculated as the total numbers of hours actually worked over the year divided by the average number of people in employment. The data cover employees and self-employed workers; they include both full-time and part-time employment."
    (http://www.keepeek.com/Digital-Asset-Management/oecd/economics/oecd-factbook-2014_factbook-2014-en#page143)

Interestingly, the OECD also states that the "national data [on hours worked] are intended for comparisons of trends in productivity and labour inputs...and are not fully suitable for inter-country comparisons of the level of hours worked because of differences in their sources and other uncertainties about their international comparability."

Without including this basic information from the OECD or links to sources, the HRM article above seems more like filler than something to spark informed discussion or provide accurate news.

Note to the editors: I'm sure other readers like myself would appreciate links to further resources or sources, especially in your articles that cite published data.
Post a reply