Forum

HRD Canada forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Notify me of new replies via email
HRM CA | 11 Mar 2014, 09:47 AM Agree 0
The young of our nation: misunderstood or just plain rude?
  • CJGrace | 11 Mar 2014, 02:33 PM Agree 0
    I have found, not just in HR, that customer service skills are on the decline and especially with younger workers. They lack the professionalism that is required. It's a shame because if they knew the impact it will have on their career, I believe they'd be more customer focused.
  • Patti | 11 Mar 2014, 02:53 PM Agree 0
    disclaimer - I am a boomer. Gen Y is not displaying any more entitlement behaviours than the boomer generation before them. Unfortunately Gen Ys learned from the most entitled generation ever produced. Good behaviour & professionalism should be a workplace focus for all generations - not just easy targets like Gen Ys.
  • Mona El Mnakabady | 13 Mar 2014, 04:13 AM Agree 0
    With the huge knowledge generation Y come in to the workplace , they unintentionally , disregard and get over the classical manners and rigid etiquette rules set up many years ago. Older generation would do better to embrace, accommodate and absorb their attitude and manners.
  • Christine | 17 Mar 2014, 12:27 PM Agree 0
    I have noticed a lack of knowledge about appropriate/professional behaviors in the workplace from other Gen Y workers (I myself am a millennial too). I find many Gen Y workers come into the workforce with very little other work experience, which may be part of the reason they are unfamiliar with expectations regarding professionalism.
    I do think, however, that it can be easily overcome by ensuring that they are aware of the expectations from the start, and by also ensuring that the entire workplace (as Patti mentioned above, not just Gen Y) is being held to the same level of professionalism.
Post a reply