Forum

HRD Canada forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Notify me of new replies via email
HRM CA | 25 Jul 2013, 12:01 AM Agree 0
Almost one in five references isn’t positive – so why are employers sometimes skipping this vital step?
  • Ashley | 25 Jul 2013, 08:48 AM Agree 0
    I have definitely encountered some poor reference checks before.

I had one person interview for a Director-level role, and represent their experience as being in a similar level. However, one of her references described how the candidate was actually more of a coordinator than a Director, and expressed that they could not and would not recommend them for our role. Her other reference was for a small individually owned-and-operated business that would know nothing about being a Director at a larger company. It was very eye-opening and that candidate who was initially the front-runner was ultimately declined. Obviously this poor reference was a major issue, and we had also asked the candidate for work samples which proved to be entirely sub-par as well.

So the moral of the story is - always check references!
  • Kent | 25 Jul 2013, 09:35 AM Agree 0
    We require references for our candidates but it is increasingly getting harder to get work references as some companies do not provide references. So we get the references of co-workers, friends, family. Who is going to give them a bad reference then.
Post a reply