Forum

HRD Canada forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Forget the best: why you should hire the mediocre candidate

Notify me of new replies via email
HRM CA | 25 Oct 2012, 09:01 AM Agree 0
Are you trying too hard to pick the best candidate? Settle for the mediocre one and they’ll work harder.
  • Merv Manthey | 25 Oct 2012, 06:38 PM Agree 0
    I disagree. Purposely hiring a mediocre candidate is the worst thing you can do.

Above all, beware of mediocrity. Hire great performers and you will see the rewards soon. Hire poor ones and they will probably get dismissed or leave before doing too much damage. But hire people who are just good enough and then do nothing to raise them from mediocrity, and you will pay the price for a very long time and in ways that you may never know.
  • Ruben Benmergui BA, MIR, LLM, CHRP | 25 Oct 2012, 06:57 PM Agree 0
    Another example of the "HR Can't get it right" infection.(Akin to the one about CEOs who hire on "gut feel". After 40 years in HR I am indeed intolerate of these "fluff" pieces, whether based on some research or opinion. This suggests Surgeons should only operate on patients who have a mediocre chance of surviving because if they did they will be more appreciative than a regular surgical candidate!

As HR (Certified) Professionals our task is to service stakeholders by providing the best qualified candidates based on competencies, experience and achievements and potential.
Post a reply