Forum

HRD Canada forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Notify me of new replies via email
HRM CA | 23 Mar 2015, 08:00 AM Agree 0
One industry academic has studied CHROs for more than a decade – these are the five traits he says are essential for success.
  • Ash Vakharia | 23 Mar 2015, 02:53 PM Agree 0
    the primary is predicating the possibilities and co-relating with needs, otherwise it is an balancing act between business, people and organisation.
  • Tom Goldie | 23 Mar 2015, 10:08 PM Agree 0
    I agree with 4 of the 5 traits but I do not agree with the neutrality comment under the Integrity heading. HR staff are not neutral; they are clearly management employees and their role is to advance the objectives of the organization. They do this in part by requiring management to treat employees in a fair and equitable manner but this is not an end in itself. To suggest otherwise causes role confusion in organizations and frustrates employees and managers alike.
  • Rob Cairns | 26 Mar 2015, 01:46 PM Agree 0
    I agree with Tom. HR is an Advisory role, and therefore requires position taking, not neutrality. An excellent HR Advisor has the ability to function as a neutral party when called on to do so (say in mediating a dispute between employees) but the HR function itself is not inherently neutral. This does not mean it is always positioned on the same side of the tension between Management and employees on any given issue. As an HR professional, I find it is best to orient myself in alignment with the best interests of the organization as a whole (admittedly based on my own judgement) and then advise both employees and managers accordingly.
Post a reply