Forum

HRD Canada forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Notify me of new replies via email
HRM CA | 15 Jul 2014, 04:40 AM Agree 0
A toxic workplace culture can develop under the radar through insidious office behaviour. HRM looks at how to spot the signs that mean it’s time for HR to take action.
  • Ella | 21 Jul 2014, 10:06 AM Agree 0
    I take exception to the 'clock watching' tip because there are other reasons people watch the clock not just because the environment is toxic. For example, I have kids and those kids have activities in the evening. In order for me to get them to those activities I have to rush like a mad woman through traffic so I am home early enough to feed them then rush through traffic again to get them to their practices. Then after the practice I rush home to pack lunches and get those kids to bed. So, my 8hrs of work have now become 16hrs. This is why I have to be out of the office at exactly my quitting time. I would be over the moon if I could lounge around and leave work whenever I felt like it.
  • Saleem | 21 Jul 2014, 12:58 PM Agree 0
    Ella has a valid point but it may also be a sign that her organization may not have a flex working schedule.

People also drop pen at the closing minute because they get penalized by their management when they are late by even one minute. Of course no one will tolerate a routine late comer but there are at times genuine reasons for some one to get late e.g. traffic issue, bad weather and even a faulty elevator at the work premises.
  • Christina | 21 Jul 2014, 03:10 PM Agree 0
    Workplace mental health ranked second in importance only to pay as the most important factor when choosing a job, according to the research.

I would love to see this research, is there any way I can access the report or the data? Are these Canadian surveys and from when?

Thank you very much.
  • Peter | 26 Jun 2015, 09:30 AM Agree 0
    The comment that people leave because of a toxic workplace, or to put blame squarely on a bad boss rather than pay is well known so I'd query Christina that mental health is "second" to pay. In Maslow's Hierachy of needs salary as a measure of job security is very low on the scale. Salary as a form of recognition of skill or ability may rank higher but if recognition (the elimination of mental health concerns) is monetary then the slide to future health issues mental and physical is already on the radar
Post a reply