Forum

HRD Canada forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Notify me of new replies via email
HRM CA | 16 Jun 2014, 10:16 AM Agree 0
What do basketball and ballet have to do with disability discrimination claims, in the eyes of one state's Supreme Court?
  • Sharon | 16 Jun 2014, 04:15 PM Agree 0
    I'm having trouble understanding this individual's rationale for requesting he be re-posted to a position to which he clearly is no longer suited, and thus, the ensuing litigation.

Without knowing all the facts of this case, it would seem that his employer was not trying to sever his employment, and in fact accommodated what appeared to be bona fide occupational barriers, by reassigning him to a more suitable role. I get that he didn't want to be perceived as disabled, but let's get real - he demonstrated an inability to carry out the essential tasks of his occupation on more than one occasion, and people's lives depend upon his ability to undertake those tasks. Have we become so litigious that we fail to use any measure of good sense anymore?

IMHO, the employer showed good judgement in reassigning this firefighter to a position within his limitations AND respected his need for same, even if he didn't personally acknowledge them!
Post a reply