Forum

HRD Canada forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Notify me of new replies via email
HRM CA | 15 Sep 2014, 11:09 AM Agree 0
A small business owner claims he had compassionate reasons for terminating an employee recently diagnosed with cancer.
  • Joanne | 15 Sep 2014, 12:24 PM Agree 0
    If she could not work for him how can she qualify for benefits. The last paragraph says it all, she is not able to work nor is she available for work due to her illness. He discriminated against her pure and simple because of her illness and as he says the fight for her life. He deserves everything he is getting.....
  • Anita | 15 Sep 2014, 12:43 PM Agree 0
    I agree with you, Joanne. The letter leans more towards her not being able to function at the level HE requires. There are options...reducing hours, reducing workload, flexibility with appointments...or waiting to see if there will be any issues at all! Losing your ability to earn money at a time like this is stress of its own.
  • MB | 15 Sep 2014, 10:12 PM Agree 0
    Too bad Pennsylvania doesn't know about human rights and a little thing called "duty to accommodate". Agree with Anita. On point with accommodation options. Can't imagine struggling for my life and going through financial hardship. She would have a winning case in Ontario. A slam dunk!
Post a reply