Forum

HRD Canada forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Notify me of new replies via email
HRM CA | 20 Mar 2015, 08:00 AM Agree 0
A CEO suing her former employer for gender discrimination has revealed yet another unusual anecdote, bordering on the bizarre.
  • Andrew Barker | 20 Mar 2015, 12:47 PM Agree 0
    The social pressure of reciprocity takes some strange forms. In the workplace, I have come to dislike hugging or any form of "embrace" other than the handshake. I really do not need the headache. Over that past 35 years of workplace experience, I have been approached on at least 10 occasions by women and men who would have put me an a compromised situation because of our respective roles - all knew I was in a committed relationship at the time. I struggled with finding the right balance and for a time was downright hostile to the notion of a friendly hug or social engagement outside of work, but to be perfectly honest, keeping the boundaries crystal clear has served me well. And, in the end I got respect for my somewhat "cold disposition". I'm somewhat more relaxed now, mainly because I'm not concerned about the consequences of showing that "icy" side of my personality. I think of it as part of my style.

That said, I am an adult, not a witless child, and if someone does make an overture, I don't claim sexual harassment, but just take command of the situation and deal with it decisively, either with an cold rejection or rolling my eyes and shaking my head. Then, I put it behind me. This is common sense and I find it more than a little hard to believe that other "adults" are incapable of the same. Situations like these reek of opportunism.
Post a reply